In 2018 and in the years to come, we will definitely be focusing on the systemic link between the level of gum inflammation in our patients’ mouths and the risk of developing other diseases.
We have known about this in theory. But how can we apply this notion concretely on a day to day basis? Are we responsible for the degradation of our customers’ general health by not treating periodontal diseases from the moment we see them? When exactly should we switch from a prophylaxis treatment to a curative treatment?
The main objectives are:
- Identifying patients who are at risk of developing periodontal diseases
- Screening of all patients systematically
- Understanding the action mechanisms of the systemic link
- Learning about the necessary conditions needed to diagnose an active periodontal disease
- Detecting patients who suffer from a loss of attachment and directing them towards a periodontal protocol
- Knowing the steps of this protocol
With these notions, you will be comfortable enough to set up your own periodontal department.